Monday, January 31, 2011

Paree zee citee of luv (pronounced like written)- Don't worry Dad, it is just a commonly used phrase.



This weekend I went to Paris.  I was excited to go considering I took French all through high school and was certain that it would all come flooding back to me as soon as I hit the streets.  Alas non (no in french.)  I had to ask for directions when we got there…. and that was about the extent of my french speaking.  Ou est(where is).... (insert image of me pointing to the map with a questioning look on my face.)  This of course was after 45 minutes of aimlessly roaming the streets because we were convinced the french hated us and wouldn't help with directions.  People are good.  Our hotel was a bit.... small.  And the walls were paper thin.  And the cleaning ladies like to talk/yell in the hallways at 5 in the morning about their problems in Russian.  But our small hotel room felt like a safe haven from the bone chilling streets.  The weather felt like a cool -46 degrees... and I forgot gloves.  On the plus side we got to see all of the places we wanted to go in only 2 days.  This list includes: the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame, Sacre Coeur on Montmartre, the Louvre, Moulin Rouge, Arc de Triomphe, Champs Elysees, and more.  My favorite place was probably the Notre Dame.  I guess majestic would be the word I would use to describe it.  It had a real presence as cheesy as that may sound, if it even makes sense.  The architecture in Paris is amazing.  Almost none of the buildings look modern, so everything matches and it was really pretty.  
Yep, you guessed it.  The Notre Dame

Asian being attacked by birds while smiling.  

Some serious bling.





Casually posing near the Eiffel Tower

Yeah! Friends! (Me and Abi)


Garbage man saw me taking pictures and waved so I chased him down the street to get a picture.  





Dan, Abi, Me and Jordan outside the Notre Dame.  Those smiles are forced.  We are actually freezing.

Inside the Louvre.  Me purposefully looking awkward

Posing like the Eiffel Tower. Except for me (of course.)  I am reppin' the STL posing like the St. Louis Arch.  Dan looks on confused by my choice of pose.

We had to. Jumping for joy at the Arc de Triomphe. 

Can-canning outside the Moulin Rouge

My large friend and I

At the top of the hour at night the Eiffel Tower glitters! Really pretty.

I found the apartment I am buying in Paris when I have multiple homes.  Naturally it looks like a penthouse. 
It's sooo me!

Every other store on every street that I visited besides Champs Elysees was selling souvenirs.  Right next to the Eiffel Tower there were men set up on blankets and walking around selling tacky, mini Eiffel Towers.  They were quite charming too (no) calling me "Lady Gaga" and telling me how beautiful I was.  Then they would say get 1 for 5 cents!  I don't know how many times the whole "beautiful" routine works for them but I think they should probably work on some new material.  As for calling me Lady Gaga, I can personally thank them for getting "Bad Romance" stuck in my head the rest of the day.  One would think, now why wouldn't you be a bit more creative than selling mini Eiffel Towers in front of the Eiffel Tower since that was literally what practically everyone was trying to sell.  Well, some people were getting.. ummm creative..? And were selling "dancing" cows that looked like they were having a seizure rather than dancing. I was tempted to buy it for my family on the farm, but decided to save myself the extra dollars and them the awkward reaction when they opened it. 
We got crepes (obviously) while we were there.  I was excited to get my banana and chocolate Nutella crepe until I saw they only put a slab of Nutella on top.  I wanted them to load that baby up!  Nothing is worse than someone who is stingy with their Nutella. 



I saw Mona at the Louvre.  Good thing people prepared me for it because she was just a small ol’ painting.  (I prefer to call her Mona now instead of the Mona Lisa because I feel that since I saw her in person, we are on first-name basis.)
Small Mona, Small girl near Mona.  Check the size.

My personal favorite part of the Louvre, posing like the statues.


The Louvre at night

On the flight back, Dan commented on how it was the first time he had ever had a female pilot.  Me too maybe, I am not sure.  However I am sure that I hope she is not my last so I can regain my faith in women pilots.  The flight back was fine mind you, nothing to be worried about.  But boy did she just PLOP us down on that runway.  I still laugh every time I think about it.  Everyone was just bouncing up and down in their chairs trying to not look alarmed.  Hilarious.
Overall, Paris was really fun and I am so glad I got to go and see all of those places.  I was really happy to be back in London though because it is so much cleaner here.  And the whole sharing the English language thing is quite nice as well.  AND I got to see Grandad on Skype when I was talking to my family which was really awesome J
Today at work we had 2 people come in from the States to do some live shots on the riots in Egypt.  Fox thought it would be nice to have our newsroom as the background.  Here I am pumped that I will be looking journalistic in the background of a live shot on national television… but no.  They moved me to the desk across from mine. Just a mere three feet away from stardom, rats.  I kept trying to casually scoot my chair over but I never made it into the shot.  Maybe next time…. However, I did help edit the package for the six o’clock news.  So if you happened to be watching Fox at six and saw the story on the riots in Egypt and their President Mubarak, I helped with that!!
Well I am pretty sure I have about 83 run-on sentences in this post, but I am too lazy.  Au revoir et bonsoir!!!

3 comments:

  1. I am dying of jealousy. Eiffel tower ? At night? (Sigh). And Dan? Not fair. I better get some damn good wine outta that. Oh, and u So should have bought granny the dancing bovine. Poor choice on your part friend. Too bad about not getting screen time. Probably had something to do w/ your passport photo. On a completely irrelevant yet humorous side note, I asked cooper where hiis weiner was and he replied "in my purse". That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. Keep it coming. Good night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why on earth did you go from London to Paris by plane? The Eurostar train is much better.

    ReplyDelete