Saturday, January 15, 2011

things I've learned thus far


What I have learned thus far (mostly from a professor we had a bit of tea and crumpets with):

1.     --Real Londoners don’t wear rain boots.  Only tourists wear rain boots.  And on top of that they are not called rain boots.  They are “wellingtons,” but don’t call them “wellies”… just don’t.
2.     --Some words have silent letters just to confuse the Americans.  For example, the tube station nearest to --our flat is Warwick.  It is pronounced Warick. 
3.     --The Brits have very VERY dry sense of humor.
4.    -- Everyone else in the world knows A LOT more about America then we know about his or her country.
5.     --Although some Brits may find Americans annoying.  A lot of them are just fascinated by us.
6.     --Americans are incredibly more noisy than the Brits… whoops.
7.     --No one talks on the tube except for foreigners and tourists.  Again, Americans are loud.
8.     --Everyone here thinks all Americans conceal and carry back at the states.  My roommate tiny, precious Emily Allen got asked if she had a gun back at home, which I found particularly hilarious. 
9.     --Mace is illegal.  If they find it on you and you could spend up to 15 years in prison.  So no Mom, I don’t think it would have been a good idea for me to bring the mace.
10--The roads are terribly confusing (especially when regarding one-way streets) as to which way the cars are going to come from.  I have had some close encounters with some automobiles… eek.
11--According to the girls in the club bathroom last night, Simon Cowell is a very attractive older man.--   Yes, we went to East London last night to a pub and a club.  The club was full of dancing and I was in heaven. 
12--So far I have not been IDed anywhere where they serve alcohol, but my purse was checked and my guy friends were patted down.
13--You MOVE for commuters who are on the go. Otherwise they will not take kindly to you and will take. You. Down—No worries, hasn’t happened to me yet.
14--The men here are beautiful and I don’t mind it.  Walking down the street with these people is like getting a free ice cream cone, such a treat.  (Don’t worry dad, no boyfriends for me)
15--There are some weird people in this world.
16--There are a lot of people who put on acts to get money.  Last night a woman came up and told us some sob story while fake crying (no tears) and told us she would pay us back somehow, she would even give us her engagement ring.  UMMM no thanks lady, move along.  Some of my friends gave her money.  I am more of a scrooge. —Right after this happened a brit came up to us to check and make sure we knew it was a total scam, what a nice chap. 
17--On page 3 of “The Sun,” a newspaper, there is always a naked woman.  The professor told us that the other day she had a bikini top on and it was shocking,
18--EVERYONE looks nice every day.  I have not seen one pair of sweats.  It inspires me to attempt to look presentable.  

I received some very exciting news today when we got our internship interview times.  Boyana, our internship director with CAPA, pulled the three other broadcast girls who are doing NBC and CBS and myself aside today to tell us that our internships were going to be extra competitive because students from the EU and London all wanted jobs at our placements.  I got news that I am going to have to take a train for 30 minutes to get to Fox so we will see how that works out… Anyways Boyana told me that Kim Miller, my supervisor at Fox News, was SO excited to meet me and have an American in the internship position.  She said my interview was going to be more like an orientation meeting.  When I tried to reach Kim she was busy at a meeting about the royal wedding (!!!!!!) so I emailed her and told her how excited I was and asked when we should meet.  She responded with just as much enthusiasm and ended her email with directions and this glorious sentence: “We look forward to you being here - promises to be a busy time with the Royal Wedding coming up”
I just CANNOT wait to find out what my internship entails.  I go in on Monday to meet people and sign up for accounts.
I will keep you all posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment